the new normal

My colleague set up a meeting at 5.30pm today. He said, it's just going to be a quick one. Well, it lasted over an hour. I'm going to add this into the list of things that you need to be careful of. Last thing I added was the decision to pop into my boss' office at 5.25pm just for you know, a little sharing about the latest update before I wrap up the day. It was never going to be 5 minutes and I should have seen it coming hahaha. 

Well, what I really wanted to say was by the time I closed my laptop I said to myself, I've had enough screen for the day so no more screen time of any sort until tomorrow and my eyes need some rest maybe I should go out and sit by Pantai Lido for a while although it's impossible to see anything at night. But half an hour later I was facetiming my best friend and here I am typing this on my Macbook so so much for no more screen time huh? 

 I should feel disappointed about my self-restraint and scared about how fast I change my mind. 

But today was okay I guess although I already felt like calling it a day at 10am because I was just already tired then. Business is really picking up despite whatever that is going on and supply chain has never been this hard for a long time so things are a little crazy at the factory. I have been crazy too. Just today I did another round of simulation for new demand coming in next year (it's something we always do to see if current supply can meet the new/increased demand and yes that was what the 5.30pm meeting for) and I can already foresee even more difficulties than what we already have here. It is indeed a new normal for us because of this pandemic, apparently in all areas of life and also in ways we do our businesses as well. Life still goes on and people still buy things so you will have to continue to make things for them but it will be difficult because supply is depleting and logistics are just swamped right now trying to recover from transportations delayed and congestion everywhere around the world and throw in the ever increasing borders and airports security. Right now I'm just grateful even only for when DHL said it's going to be delivered by end of day and it does just that. Because there are so many reasons for things to not show up at your door these days. So much uncertainties and unpredictabilites. The new normal now is you might not get that or it might cannot be done. 

It is times like this that makes us realized that we do have it in us to adapt and change accordingly. That when the time and need arises, we can actually be okay and content with so many things. Of course it'll be difficult at the beginning. There'd be fight and resistance. Unable to accept what is. But everyone will just adapt at the end. And everything will be okay again. 

Never thought I would write something inspired by my own work situation. 

Comments